I have numerous methods of making water safe for drinking. One that I had always heard of but had never tried until recently was the LifeStraw. The LifeStraw is an ultra-portable water filter that you use just like a straw. Place the straw in the suspect water – and as you suck it through the unit the water is filtered.
The LifeStraw has been used all of the world by those desperate for life sustaining water – but no clean water source available. The LifeStraw was designed to be used under the most extreme conditions and purify water which may contain dangerous bacteria. Sounds like a perfect addition to several of my kits.
Check out this video:
Filtering 264 gallons, this is not a short term emergency filter. The LifeStraw can provide a lot of water over an extended period. Obviously how long the filter will last depends on how dirty the water is that is being filtered. To try the filter out I drained a cup of water from my rain barrel. This was the dirtiest and most suspect water I could find. I stuck the straw in it – and no problem. Water tasted just fine. The pre-filtered water was full of particles suspended and it had a slight tint of brown.
The LifeStraw is an excellent choice for portable water purification. It is small, easy to use, and inexpensive. At under $20.00 it is a bargain.
Here are some specs:
- Filters up to 1,000 liters (264 gallons) of water
- Removes 99.9999% of waterborne bacteria (>LOG 6 reduction)
- Removes 99.9% of waterborne protozoan parasites (>LOG 3 reduction)
- Reduces turbidity, filtering down to 0.2 microns
- Ultralight: weighs only 2oz!
- Does NOT use iodine or iodinized resin
- Contains no chemicals (and is BPA-free), uses no batteries, has no moving parts
- Very high flow rate; no after taste (because no iodine or chlorine are used)
- Easy to clean. Can be stored and used periodically without impacting shelf life.
- Very durable
- Used worldwide in harsh conditions since 2005
- Award winning & internationally recognized
LifeStraw filters down to an incredible, 0.2 microns in size! This removes virtually all the bacteria (99.9999%) and protozoa (99.9%) from contaminated water, and reduces turbidity (muddiness) by filtering out suspended particles.
Bacteria removed include:
- Escherichia coli,
- Vibrio cholerae,
- Pseudomonas aeruginosa,
Protozoa removed include:
- Giardia lamblia (“Beaver Fever”)
- Cryptosporidium Parvum
- Entamoeba histolytica.
- Length: 9 inches
- Width: 1 inch
- Weight: 2 ounces
- Construction: durable plastic. Does not require replacement parts or batteries, or any chemicals.
- Capacity: filters up to 264 gallons (1000 liters) of water.
Want a LifeStraw of your very own? I have two to giveaway. Simply leave a comment to this post. Go and list what you thnk are he 5 most important things in your “Get Home Bag”, “Survival Kit” or “Bug Out Bag”.
I will use a Random Number Generator to select the winners.
Like what you read?
Then you're gonna love my free PDF, 20 common survival items, 20 uncommon survival uses for each. That's 400 total uses for these innocent little items!
Just enter your primary e-mail below to get your link. This will also subscribe you to my newsletter so you stay up-to-date with everything: new articles, ebooks, products and more!