When you visit an external link on this page and then make a purchase, I may earn a commission. Read my full advertising disclosure here.
I have numerous methods of making water safe for drinking. One that I had always heard of but had never tried until recently was the LifeStraw.
The LifeStraw is an ultra-portable water filter that you use just like a straw. Place the straw in the suspect water – and as you suck it through the unit the water is filtered.
The LifeStraw has been used all of the world by those desperate for life sustaining water – but no clean water source available. The LifeStraw was designed to be used under the most extreme conditions and purify water which may contain dangerous bacteria. Sounds like a perfect addition to several of my kits.
Check out this video:
Filtering 264 gallons, this is not a short term emergency filter. The LifeStraw can provide a lot of water over an extended period. Obviously how long the filter will last depends on how dirty the water is that is being filtered.
To try the filter out I drained a cup of water from my rain barrel. This was the dirtiest and most suspect water I could find. I stuck the straw in it – and no problem. Water tasted just fine. The pre-filtered water was full of particles suspended and it had a slight tint of brown.
The LifeStraw is an excellent choice for portable water purification. It is small, easy to use, and inexpensive. At under $20.00 it is a bargain.
Here are some specs:
- Filters up to 1,000 liters (264 gallons) of water
- Removes 99.9999% of waterborne bacteria (>LOG 6 reduction)
- Removes 99.9% of waterborne protozoan parasites (>LOG 3 reduction)
- Reduces turbidity, filtering down to 0.2 microns
- Ultralight: weighs only 2oz!
- Does NOT use iodine or iodinized resin
- Contains no chemicals (and is BPA-free), uses no batteries, has no moving parts
- Very high flow rate; no after taste (because no iodine or chlorine are used)
- Easy to clean. Can be stored and used periodically without impacting shelf life.
- Very durable
- Used worldwide in harsh conditions since 2005
- Award winning & internationally recognized
LifeStraw filters down to an incredible, 0.2 microns in size! This removes virtually all the bacteria (99.9999%) and protozoa (99.9%) from contaminated water, and reduces turbidity (muddiness) by filtering out suspended particles.
Bacteria removed include:
- Escherichia coli,
- Vibrio cholerae,
- Pseudomonas aeruginosa,
Protozoa removed include:
- Giardia lamblia (“Beaver Fever”)
- Cryptosporidium Parvum
- Entamoeba histolytica.
- Length: 9 inches
- Width: 1 inch
- Weight: 2 ounces
- Construction: durable plastic. Does not require replacement parts or batteries, or any chemicals.
- Capacity: filters up to 264 gallons (1000 liters) of water.
Want a LifeStraw of your very own? I have two to giveaway. Simply leave a comment to this post. Go and list what you thnk are he 5 most important things in your “Get Home Bag”, “Survival Kit” or “Bug Out Bag”.
I will use a Random Number Generator to select the winners.