I love flashlights. They are a basic and integral part of any preparedness plan. Ask anyone to make a list of the top 5 things that should be collected in case of any kind of a disaster and surely”flashlight” will be ranked up there. As I continue to build my preps I sought out a high quality, high performance LED flashlight and after a lot of time on Amazon – I ordered the Streamlight 88850 POLYTAC LED.
This light is very compact as you can see in the picture below compared to a box of matches. Great to throw in a pocket, glove box, or tactical vest. It is also very light at around 4 ounces.
Crystal clear lens protects the C4 LED element. This LED throws out light at a very bright 130 lumens.
The tail cap contains a “clicky” push button on-off switch. Simply push to turn on and then push again to turn off. One feature I really like and have been using on this light is the ability to partially push the button to momentarily turn on – then release it to turn off.
In the picture below you can see the brightness in my kitchen with the lights totally off. The beam is focused well for close-range work. I have been very impressed with the brightness of this light.
Alright – I have given you some of my impressions. Now I will give you the manufacturers specifications:
- C4 LED technology, impervious to shock with a 50,000 hour lifetime
- Borofloat glass lens, o-ring sealed
- Tail cap push button provides one handed momentary or constant “on”
- 3 hours of continuous runtime to the 10-Percent output level
- Two (2) 3-Volt CR123A lithium batteries with a shelf life of 10-Year
- Well made, durable, quality construction
- Simple operation
- Very bright
- Includes 2 Lithium CR-123A batteries
- Nice grip
- 1 inch diameter allows for use in weapon mount
- Inexpensive ($38.29 + Free Shipping as of this writing on Amazon)
- Battery life could be better – 3 hours of life – 2 hours at near full strength
- Uses CR-123A batteries – which are more expensive and less common (good shelf life though!)
Summary – Great light for the money. Lightweight, bright and durable – I am very pleased with it. I purchased mine in black but it is also available in Coyote Brown. I think I will get another – or twelve!
For more information – see HERE.