There is nothing easier than grabbing a bottle of ketchup at the supermarket, but there was a time when people made it themselves!
It’s actually quite easy to make homemade ketchup, and it’s a great skill to have for times you might not be able to rely on the supermarket for your favorite condiments.
The great thing about this ketchup is it is lacto-fermented, which means not only is it delicious and far superior in taste and quality to store bought ketchup, it is also full of added nutritional benefits and naturally-occurring probiotics.
Let’s get started!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 21 oz of tomato paste
- 1/3 cup honey, preferably raw
- 3 Tbs apple cider vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic
- 6 Tb liquid whey
- 3 tsp salt
- pinch cayenne pepper
A note on whey: this is not the powdered fitness supplement you’ll find at GNC–that definitely won’t work! Whey is the liquid by-product of cheese or yogurt making.
The easiest way to get it is to take a carton of organic, whole-milk yogurt, and place it in a strainer lined with a napkin or cheesecloth. Place the strainer over a bowl, cover, and wait a few hours. The whey will collect beneath, and you’ll have the added bonus of some deliciously thick Greek-style yogurt!
Homemade Ketchup Steps
- Combine the liquid ingredients together in a bowl and stir well to combine.
- Mince your garlic and add, along with the seasonings to the liquid ingredients.
- Using a rubber spatula, pour into a canning jar. Spread flat on the top.
- Using a clean paper towel or napkin, clean the top of the jar above the ketchup.
- Cover loosely with a lid, and leave on your counter for three days. Then, transfer to the fridge and enjoy!
It really is that simple! Spread on a burger or hot dog, slather over some chili fries, or use as the base for sloppy joes or bbq sauce.
Like what you read?
Then you're gonna love my free PDF, 20 common survival items, 20 uncommon survival uses for each. That's 400 total uses for these innocent little items!
Just enter your primary e-mail below to get your link. This will also subscribe you to my newsletter so you stay up-to-date with everything: new articles, ebooks, products and more!
By entering your email, you agree to subscribe to the Modern Survival Online newsletter. We will not spam you.