It is pretty telling how the Obama Administration is directing departments to make this shutdown effect as many people in the public as possible totally for political gain. Rather than strategically looking at a huge variety of “non-essential” services that could be eliminated to have as minimal effect on as few a citizens as possible – the opposite approach was taken for publicity sake. Pretty sad but not unexpected.
Let’s look at a few examples of what’s been going on:
- A Federal Park Ranger was informed to “make life as difficult for people as we can.” The Rangers closed the parking lot used for Mount Vernon although the parking lot receives no federal funding.
- Everyone has heard of the open-air World War II Memorial being closed and barricaded off – stopping veterans and other visitors from visiting. More money has been spent trying to stop people from visiting the memorial than when it is normally running. Makes sense? Me neither. World War II vets disregarded the barrier and made their way around to carry on their visit after Republican Congressman pushed the barricades aside. The government has now caved and is allowing Veterans to visit.
- The Martin Luther King Memorial – an open-air, open 24/7 without guards is now closed and barricaded off. Why?
- At one point the Army versus Air Force football game was cancelled – until it became widely known that neither receive any federal funding. Hmmmm……
- Grand Canyon rafters are being stopped at Lee’s Ferry on the Colorado River by armed Rangers and being told they were not allowed to travel through the park.
And one of the most pathetic displays of Obama’s orders…..
- The 51 room Pisgah Inn, located along the Blue Ridge Parkway at an elevation of 5000 feet and 20 miles from the nearest town was shutdown as Park Rangers closed the only road providing access. The privately owned Inn rests on leased Federal land. Although the Blue Ridge Parkway is not closed – the entrance to the Inn is being guarded by Park Rangers:
The parkway’s chief ranger, Steve Stinnett, said Park Service managers in Washington directed him to block access to the inn at milepost 408.6 and ensure “people don’t utilize a business that, according to the federal government, is closed.”
Rangers will stay in place as long as they are needed, Stinnett said.
Let’s also consider the fact that all furloughed Federal employees will be paid regardless of how long the shutdown is. Many of these workers are sitting at home watching MSNBC and CNN – and getting paid. This makes no sense whatsoever. Now – there are also many Federal workers that showed up and went to work even though they did not have to – and didn’t know if they would be paid. These people deserve to receive their check when this is all done and over with.
It is really amazing the uproar the media and some public has had over this shutdown. They point out and complain about some of the smallest things and the way people are effected. Now – imagine if we were actually able to get someone in the White House to seriously cut spending and reduce the Federal Debt. Entitlements would have to get cut, non-essential departments and spending would have to go, and some people would be hurt by it. Oh well – we cannot have our cake and eat to. That has been going on for too long.
Obama sent his minions out in force to spread the pain and have the lamestream media blame the Republicans. Seems to be working – as usual.