Several weeks ago I found out that my fellow blogger Bernie Carr (The Apartment Prepper) was having a book published – and I thought that was really cool. I mean – maybe someday that could be me!
Well – Bernie was nice enough to send me a copy and I have just got finished reading it.
I am impressed.
When I first saw the title – The Prepper’s Pocket Guide – 101 Easy Things You Can Do To Ready Your Home For A Disaster – I thought maybe it would have a lot of “basic” info that would be good for beginners. After flipping through this book for just a few minutes – a smile crossed my face as I found some really valid information that I – as well as others – could really use.
Let me provide a few examples:
– “Make a written emergency contact list” – So true! How many of us have relatives phone numbers in our cell phones rather than written down. I haven’t written a letter in years and have very few addresses of friends and family. Great suggestion Bernie!
– “Make a simple, inexpensive water filter” – exactly as the title suggests – great information.
– “Learn to cook with lentils and beans” – this is information I didn’t have – now I do!
– “Teach children about prepping” – important stuff!
– “Don’t forget about the pets” – Honestly – in my prepping this is one area I really have paid no attention to at all. Great stuff.
These are just a few examples of the stuff that you can pick up in this book. Several times I read and entry and said to myself “Oh yeah – I’ve got to remember that!”
Do I have any criticism of the book? Well – I saw in the back of the book that there was a “Resources” section and I thought to myself – “Oh yeah – gotta check this out“. Well – I looked and looked and somehow ModernSurvivalOnline was absent from the list. Hmmmmm….
From making a secret hiding place out of a commonly found household item to making your own electrolyte drink – lots of unique and valuable information. I highly recommend it.
Now – the title of my own upcoming book? The Novices Guide to Underwater Basket Weaving. Gonna be great……