Many preppers today are doing so out of fear of inflation and the economy. More and more people are shopping sales, using coupons, and shopping discount centers. Part of my inflation protection system is stocking up on many commonly used household items such as shampoo, body wash, soap, toilet paper, dish detergent, and laundry detergent. I buy when on sale and stock up.
With two action-packed boys we go through a lot of laundry detergent. My wife and I typically buy large containers of liquid detergent at SAM’s. I had heard of people making their own detergent and decided to give it a shot.
There are lots of instructions available online and I choose to make a powered version.
Here is the lowdown –
The detergent is made from three ingredients –
- bar of soap (Ivory, Fels-Naptha)
- Borax (20 Mule Team brand)
- washing soda (Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda)
- The first step to making the detergent is shaving the bar of soap into little pieces. A cheese grater works great. Shave the whole bar into a bowl.
- Add 1 cup of Borax to the bowl.
- Add 1 cup of washing soda to the bowl.
- Stir thoroughly
Like what you read?
Then you're gonna love my free PDF, 20 common survival items, 20 uncommon survival uses for each. That's 400 total uses for these innocent little items!
Just enter your primary e-mail below to get your link. This will also subscribe you to my newsletter so you stay up-to-date with everything: new articles, ebooks, products and more!
By entering your email, you agree to subscribe to the Modern Survival Online newsletter. We will not spam you.