This week I will be “off grid” to a large extent. Any issues with the site will be taken care of – but likely with a substantial delay. Comments are being automatically approved. Emails will be answered – but again, with a substantial delay.
This week there will be mix of some “Blasts from the Past” re-posts as well as some new content. The most reason Guest Post Contest has ended and winners will be announced likely on Sunday April 7th or possibly on Monday the 8th.
Also – I will be announcing the prize line up for the April-May Contest soon – so keep those keyboards warmed up.
A few things that have been on my mind:
- Body Armor – I have added getting some AR500 body armor plates to my supplies “to get” checklist. They are inexpensive compared to many out there on the market and should fit in my LBE.
- Guns – I am seeing a resurgence of AR’s in my local gun shop. Just the other day I went in there and it looked no different than it did 6 months ago. Ammunition? Nope – no .22LR, no 9mm, no .45ACP, and the .223/5.56/7.62×39 was at least double the “pre-panic” prices. Received an email from CheaperThanDirt.com stating they had magazines in stock for many guns. Upon looking I found they are still asking pathetic prices for ammo and magazines. I think seeing these elevated prices is one of the things that keeps the panic buying going.
- I have watched Atlas Shrugged 2 several times now. At first I was not thrilled with the movie – but after watching it a couple times it has grown on me a lot. I was pretty disappointed that different actors were cast in Part 2 – which took a little getting used to. After watching it a few times I got used to it. I highly recommend watching both Part 1 and Part 2 and looking forward to Part 3.
- Firearms Training – I am looking to get some additional firearms training – hopefully soon. There is much for e to learn – to improve on. I do what I can on my own – practicing speed loads from vests and belt pouches. Room clearing when my family is not at home to ask – “Dad, what are you doing? Are looking for zombies again?” Need more range time.
- Emergency Fund – Always been one struggled to save much money – let alone an Emergency Fund. Pretty happy that over the past couple months I have built up a decent Emergency Fund – “just in case”. A lot of people out there talk about the need to exchange dollars for tangibles – which is fine depending on your particular situation. The truth is – we are not living in an economic collapse yet, and an emergency today might be a water heater going out and of needing replacement. It is good to have some cash stashed away.
- BestPreparednessDeals.com and BestTacticalDeals.com have been doing pretty well. I have really enjoyed looking for great deals on all things preparedness and “tactical” in nature – and passing the info on. Many items are on Amazon – which presents a challenge as Amazon changes there prices often. So, sometimes I schedule a preparedness items to go live and then when it does – the price has changed. Sometimes it goes up a bit, and sometimes it goes down a bit. Regardless – when you take the time to watch – you can find some really good deals. Well, that’s why I created both sites.
- I have fallen off the wagon on my low carb, Paleo diet recently. Doing crossfit, mountain biking, and my regular stickfighting class – I have stayed pretty active. It was just about a year ago an orthopedics doctor told me that the severe pain I was having on my back was something I would just have to deal with – and Crossfit and weightlifting would be a thing of the past. Well – turned out he didn’t have a clue what he was talking about. Anyways – back to my diet. Between Thanksgiving and Christmas I pretty much stopped eating a Paleo lifestyle and I have struggled to get back on the program since. I had dropped from about 216 down to 196 – now I am holding steady around 209 pounds. I feel pretty good but want to get down to 185-190 pounds. Will hot it hard next week and hopefully I can keep it goin like I did for quite a bit of last Fall.
- EDC Knife – I usually carry an inexpensive S&W Extreme Ops Folding Knife daily on my belt – but recently it has been replaced buy an even cheaper Tac Force assisted opening knife. I have had it a few weeks now and so far am REALLY impressed. Review upcoming but I will tell you the spring assist works great and the blade came extremely sharp – and has held that edge through a decent amount of work. Right now it is selling for around $8.50 with free shipping on orders over $25. Yes – it is made in China.
- I recently picked up a Jeep Wrangler and love it so far. I also bought a small trailer to pull behind it to transport supplies.
- Garden: This coming weekend – weather providing – will be tilling up the main garden as well as turning the soil in all raised beds. Only thing I have in the ground right now are some potatoes. Will be throwing some seeds in as well by end of the weekend. Herb bed should return for another year of tasteful, and fragrant plants. If you do not garden – you should. So rewarding.
- I need a summer concealed carry pistol. Winter time I can carry a full-sized 9mm or 45ACP with no problem. Pretty difficult hear in the South during the summer. When not at work I generally wear a t-shirt and shorts. I am looking at different small revolvers and automatic. I like the Ruger LCR in .22LR as well. I know. Its a .22LR.
- The lamesream media continues to broadcast the economy is getting better and celebrating the record highs of the stock market. Bunch of rhino crap if you ask me.
Alright folks – how are you doing with your preps?