A few things that have been on my mind……
- Several readers have forwarded me emails and links on a really cool “house” built from two metal shipping containers.
- Survival & Preparedness Stockpile…….putting some stuff back:
- Buy One – Get One Free shopping: local grocery stores have been having a bunch of BOGO sales on canned goods, spaghetti, spaghetti sauce, and more.
- SAM’s and BJ’s: Mrs. Rourke and I have memberships at Sam’s and BJ’s (I like Sam’s better). We have been buying rice in larger sacks than what is available at the grocery store. Also have picked up some larger #10 cans (about the same size) of potatoes. A regular sized can of potatoes run around $1.50 at local store yet a HUGE can can be brought for between $4.00-$5.00 .
- Batteries: Picked up many AA and AAA batteries at IKEA and SAM’s. Also picked up some D batteries. I store the batteries in plastic shoe boxes which I pick up at the dollar store or Big Lot’s for $1.00.
- Paracord: Picked up a couple of 50-ft packs of paracord. I love this stuff and find uses for it often. Strapping the Christmas tree to the roof of my wife’s car? Paracord. Love it.
- Ammo deal from a friend: A friend from work had 750 rounds of misc .223 Remington ammo. We kept going back and forth on a price and I finally told him that it was worth $140 to me – no more. He bit and accepted the deal. Good addition to the stockpile.
- Firestarters: Local grocery store had placed on clearance a bunch of individual fire logs as well as a variety of firestarters. I picked up a bunch of them. The firelogs were $1.50 each (bought 10). I use them in an outdoor fire pit as well as cut them up into small sections to use as firestarters. The boxes of firestarters were from $1.00-$1.50 (picked up 12). Some were like mini firelogs and the others were small little paper cups filled with some kind of wax. Good addition to the shelf.
- I have been using my Deadwood Stove – review a few days ago…..nice!!
- Recently organizing my garage and some of my supplies and caught myself staring at my Big Berkey water filter and thinking that it was a beautiful piece of equipment – kinda sexy. Is that wrong?
- Site Post List: ModernSurvivalOnline has had over 900 posts published in the past 18 months or so. For a complete list of every single post – CLICK HERE.
- Thanks tedez for sending me this link – The Poor Man’s Guide to Survival Gear. Good article.
- I recently picked up M.D. Creekmore’s Dirt-Cheap Survival Retreat. I read it quickly and plan to read it again – highly recommended. Review to come shortly.
Like what you read?
Then you're gonna love my free PDF, 20 common survival items, 20 uncommon survival uses for each. That's 400 total uses for these innocent little items!
Just enter your primary e-mail below to get your link. This will also subscribe you to my newsletter so you stay up-to-date with everything: new articles, ebooks, products and more!
By entering your email, you agree to subscribe to the Modern Survival Online newsletter. We will not spam you.