Here are a few things I have been thinking about…….
- The disaster in Joplin is terrible. The weather that has been occurring in the past month or so is unbelievable. Even with the preps that I have put into place – I feel totally unprepared for a tornado that can just wipe out everything you have. I look that I have a couple of realistic options –
- Build a safe room in my garage – this is most likely something that I would have to pay someone to come in and do. My home is on a slab – which is beneficial to the safe room idea. What concerns me is the fact more than 35% of the garage would be taken up by this room. I have no plans on moving for many years. The effect the safe room – or the lack or garage space – has on the reselling of the house really is not an issue that I will be confronted with for many years. It might even be a selling point.
- Store supplies off-site – In the event that my property is totally destroyed and much of my preps are lost – I could store supplies offsite of my property. This certainly doesn’t help the situation with the safety of my family – unless we evacuate.
- I am going to be doing something that many financial experts often advise against – taking a loan out on my 401k. To the experts……oh well. I have had a loan on my 401k that I am almost complete paying off. The new loan will go towards many things – including some preps. I am looking at this time as an opportunity to really analyze my supplies and fix or improve what holes I find.
- Like many others- life is super busy. Work, gardening, post-storm clean up, kids, prepping, blog, YouTube Channel, etc – just seems like I rarely have any spare time. In my own job I often have to talk to people about time management. Part of this is me pointing out that time is constant – everyone has the same amount. It is what you do within that time that can determine how productive you are. So – I am trying to take my own advice – and have found I just have too many commitments.
- The dollar continues its decline. Even though there are signs the economy is recovering – that things are getting better – I think they are false. No matter how many times you add up 2 plus 2 – it will equal 4 every single time. I just do not see how the economy can recover completely with the governmental fiscal policies that are continuing to take place.
- I think the guy in this kayak suddenly feels very small in a very large world:
- This year when I planed my garden I used some seeds from 2 years ago – with high germination rates – no problems. I also planted some Orange Cosmos seeds that I had harvested from my own plants – from 2006 – and they have sprouted just fine. Nature is incredibly strong and virile.
- I just picked up a new toy – looking forward to posting about it soon.
- This weekend heading to my possible Bug Out location – more research to be done.
Take care all –