Unless you live under a rock you are likely to be aware of the movement in Congress and government to pass restrictive gun control legislation. With a series of unfortunate mass shootings over the past few months there is significant momentum involving emotion rather than logic to “just do something” in response.
From my perspective – which is one of the Constitution, as well as being a survivalist worried about certain, specific events which may happen in the future- I totally disagree with any further gun control measures. Any further laws which restrict my ability to defend myself, my family, and my community is unacceptable.
In case you are not up to date with what is going on – let me summarize briefly what is being discussed:
- The Wicked Witch from the West Diane Feinstein is planning to introduce a bill in the Senate towards the end of January which, if passed, will be the most restrictive national modern day gun control measures since the AWB in 1994.
As it is written now – the Bill will ban magazines capable of holding more than 10 rounds. A huge shopping list of firearms will also be banned. Importation of numerous firearms will be no more. Current weapons and magazine look to be grandfathered in – however registration with the ATF will be required.
Beyond Feinstein’s Bill…….
- There is information suggesting that legislation will be brought forth making all semi-automatic centerfire rifles capable of holding a magazine containing more than 10-rounds a Class-3 Firearm. This would cause anyone owning such a firearm to pay a $200 tax on said firearm – each and every single one of them.
- There are pro-Gun Control fanatics, in and out of government that want an all out ban on firearms. This would involve confiscation of all firearms.
- Ammunition is another target of Gun Control. I have heard rumours of a 50% tax to be levied on all ammunition as a way to decrease the supply in existence. People would not be able to afford to purchase ammunition as in the past – and the cheap ammunition would be shot – thus the overall supply would diminish.
- Reloading is also being targeted. High taxes on primers – the heart of a complete round – have been suggested.
- Permits provided to citizens allowing the purchase of ammunition is also something being considered. Citizens would only be able to obtain a certain number of permits within any given amount of time – at a cost. As an example – need a couple boxes of .308 to hunt with? Go buy two $25 permits for one box of ammunition each.
- Disposable ammunition – Ammunition created with a shelf life of 18 to 24 months. How? Primers that degrade over time.
Now – I understand the emotions behind the terrible events like that in Connecticut. I really do. There is too much violence, too much crime. I could go on and on. My first inclination is why in the world would law abiding people have to have their rights taken away because of a teeny, tiny percentage of the population? There are somewhere around 340 million people in this country and a few nuts do evil things and the vast majority of us are being looked at as “potential” evil-doers. Since we all have the potential – then it must be all of our rights to be effected and taken away?
Care to get some insight into the anti-gun crowd? Check out these links:
There are many politicians that will have no problem standing in front of a camera and make statements like, “I voted for a bill that will help protect our children.” and “I believe in the right to bear arms, however something needs to be done to protect the innocent.” The fact that none of these laws and restrictions will have an effect on those that wish to do evil will be unimportant. Most of the crooked politicians in Washington follow polls and vote for what is popular and will get them votes. They also vote on that which will get them the most campaign contributions. So – if convenient, they will ignore facts like it is not the gun that commitments a crime – rather it is the person behind the trigger.
So what do we do now? In my mind – two things:
Number 1: Contact your Senators and Representatives and let them know if they vote for ANY gun control measures you will vote against them in the next election. Period.
Below is an email template that you can use to write to your local Congressman. I found it somewhere on the net – works for me.
Dear Senator/Congressman XXXXX,
This letter is in reference to any legislation currently being introduced in the House/Senate that would further infringe on every American’s constitutionally protected right to keep & bear arms. I demand that you OPPOSE any & all measures aimed at stripping away our freedoms in the name of “gun control.”
I have decided that I am now a one-issue voter. I do this because I’m a law-abiding citizen who is sick and tired of having his rights stripped away by people that are ignorant on the subject. Those that take the time to study the issue of “gun control” know that when you restrict the right to self-defense from lawful citizens, crime actually increases in those areas. This is because by definition, criminals do not obey the law (if they did, they would not be criminals.) I do not believe that restrictive “gun control” measures have ever saved a life. In point of fact, & as seen on the campus of Virginia Tech., “gun control” actually costs lives!
I want to be perfectly clear here… elected officials and political candidates who support ANY form of restrictive gun control WILL LOSE MY VOTE and the votes of my family members. Please do your part to cast the flawed concept of “gun control” on to the ash heap of failed ideas.
To find out who your local Congressman is – use these links:
Contact your Congressman – http://electedlist.com/
Number 2: Prepare! That is what we do, isn’t it? If you have firearms – get extra magazines and ammunition. How much? As much as you can afford. Do not have firearms? Buy what you can afford and then get the needed accessories and ammunition. Do it now. You just never know what is going to happen.
For clarity – below is the actual wording from Diane Feinstein’s website on her proposed Gun Control Bill.
Following is a summary of the 2013 legislation:
- Bans the sale, transfer, importation, or manufacturing of:
- 120 specifically-named firearms;
- Certain other semiautomatic rifles, handguns, shotguns that can accept a detachable magazine and have one or more military characteristics; and
- Semiautomatic rifles and handguns with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds.
- Strengthens the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban and various state bans by:
- Moving from a 2-characteristic test to a 1-characteristic test;
- Eliminating the easy-to-remove bayonet mounts and flash suppressors from the characteristics test; and
- Banning firearms with “thumbhole stocks” and “bullet buttons” to address attempts to “work around” prior bans.
- Bans large-capacity ammunition feeding devices capable of accepting more than 10 rounds.
- Protects legitimate hunters and the rights of existing gun owners by:
- Grandfathering weapons legally possessed on the date of enactment;
- Exempting over 900 specifically-named weapons used for hunting or sporting purposes; and
- Exempting antique, manually-operated, and permanently disabled weapons.
- Requires that grandfathered weapons be registered under the National Firearms Act, to include:
- Background check of owner and any transferee;
- Type and serial number of the firearm;
- Positive identification, including photograph and fingerprint;
- Certification from local law enforcement of identity and that possession would not violate State or local law; and
- Dedicated funding for ATF to implement registration.
Let’s hope none of this comes to pass. Lets hope that logic prevails over emotional exaggeration.
Preparing? Check this out –
Like what you read?
Then you're gonna love my free PDF, 20 common survival items, 20 uncommon survival uses for each. That's 400 total uses for these innocent little items!
Just enter your primary e-mail below to get your link. This will also subscribe you to my newsletter so you stay up-to-date with everything: new articles, ebooks, products and more!
By entering your email, you agree to subscribe to the Modern Survival Online newsletter. We will not spam you.