This post was originally published here – http://modernsurvivalonline.com/review-streamlight-88850-polytac-led-flashlight/
I love flashlights. They are a basic and integral part of any preparedness plan. Ask anyone to make a list of the top 5 things that should be collected in case of any kind of a disaster and surely”flashlight” will be ranked up there. As I continue to build my preps I sought out a high quality, high performance LED flashlight and after a lot of time on Amazon – I ordered the Streamlight 88850 POLYTAC LED.
This light is very compact as you can see in the picture below compared to a box of matches. Great to throw in a pocket, glove box, or tactical vest. It is also very light at around 4 ounces.
Crystal clear lens protects the C4 LED element. This LED throws out light at a very bright 130 lumens.
The tail cap contains a “clicky” push button on-off switch. Simply push to turn on and then push again to turn off. One feature I really like and have been using on this light is the ability to partially push the button to momentarily turn on – then release it to turn off.
In the picture below you can see the brightness in my kitchen with the lights totally off. The beam is focused well for close-range work. I have been very impressed with the brightness of this light.
Alright – I have given you some of my impressions. Now I will give you the manufacturers specifications:
- C4 LED technology, impervious to shock with a 50,000 hour lifetime
- Borofloat glass lens, o-ring sealed
- Tail cap push button provides one handed momentary or constant “on”
- 3 hours of continuous runtime to the 10-Percent output level
- Two (2) 3-Volt CR123A lithium batteries with a shelf life of 10-Year
- Well made, durable, quality construction
- Simple operation
- Very bright
- Includes 2 Lithium CR-123A batteries
- Nice grip
- 1 inch diameter allows for use in weapon mount
- Battery life could be better – 3 hours of life – 2 hours at near full strength
- Uses CR-123A batteries – which are more expensive and less common (good shelf life though!)
Summary – Great light for the money. Lightweight, bright and durable – I am very pleased with it. I purchased mine in black but it is also available in Coyote Brown. I think I will get another – or twelve!
For more information – see HERE.
Like what you read?
Then you're gonna love my free PDF, 20 common survival items, 20 uncommon survival uses for each. That's 400 total uses for these innocent little items!
Just enter your primary e-mail below to get your link. This will also subscribe you to my newsletter so you stay up-to-date with everything: new articles, ebooks, products and more!
By entering your email, you agree to subscribe to the Modern Survival Online newsletter. We will not spam you.