To be honest I often scoffed at the idea of spending my hard earned money on an aftermarket grip for my AR. I mean – it’s a just a grip, right? The standard AR grip has been around for decades and should be just fine. Well – several months ago I happen to have a few extra bills padding my wallet(rare occurrence) and was down in Columbia, SC at Palmetto State Armory. They had an entire section of the store dedicated to Magpul accessories and I checked out the Magpul MOE Grip.
The Magpul MOE grip felt decent in the hand so I bought it. Once I got home I installed the grip on my Stag AR. Again, felt pretty good but nothing spectacular. A couple observations include:
- Fills my hands more than the standard. I do not have large hands so initially was not sure if this was a good thing.
- Ridges on the front and back provide some decent friction to secure the AR in the hand.
- Has storage compartment but I do not use this feature.
- There is a lip at the bottom of the grip which does help securement.
- The “beavertail” portion that rides up the rear of the gun behind the safety and under the buffer tube provides a different feel. Good? I wasn’t sure initially.
I have attended two tactical carbine classes since installing the Magpul MOE grip. Although early on I felt like the standard AR grip was just fine – I have truly come to appreciate the Magpul. I very much underappreciated the importance of “grip” on the AR. During all methods of movement I found that the Magpul grip increased my connection with the rifle. That is a good thing, right?
With the Magpul MOE grip costing around $20 any benefit it provides is worth the minimal price.
By the way – the grip was easy to install. No issues at installation nor since. Construction is on par with other Magpul accessories which means very good.
Like what you read?
Then you're gonna love my free PDF, 20 common survival items, 20 uncommon survival uses for each. That's 400 total uses for these innocent little items!
Just enter your primary e-mail below to get your link. This will also subscribe you to my newsletter so you stay up-to-date with everything: new articles, ebooks, products and more!