The Walking Dead is one of my favorite shows on television. It is fiction of course and I catch myself often saying – “Oh come on man……what about ??????” But hey – it’s entertaining. What the apocalyptic show does do fairly well is offer up situations to consider when looking at your preps.
Here are 7 survival lessons from The Walking Dead:
1. There is strength in numbers. Within a group there will be a multitude of experiences, knowledge, and skill sets. Diversity is good when you never know what kind of situation and problem falls in your lap. The lone prepper will struggle securing a perimeter as well as completing all the essential tasks. Rick, Glenn, and group have survived hordes of zombies due to having sufficient numbers.
2. Have a plan. Although prediction of every possible scenario is not realistic having a set of basic plans is necessary. Communication of this plan is a must as well. If there is a need to relocate/bug out – where will you go? Although some fly by the seat of their pants like Daryl Dixon he survives due the writers of a script. Make plans. Make procedures. Communicate them to all involved.
Trust no one. This really is about non-family. You just never know what is going on in someones head and what their intentions are. Someone can come across one way but underneath be something else entirely. How many people on The Walking Dead have seemed to have good intentions however reality brought forward something quite different? Remember the Governor?
3. Never let your guard down. Pretty much sums it up. In a survival situation keep your head on a swivel and eyes wide open. Far too often just when it seems like things are turning around for Rick and the gang someone gets their leg eaten.
4. Mental preparedness is just as important as beans, bullets, and band-aids. Losing your cool in a stressful situation can lead to some pretty bad consequences. Many have panicked on The Walking Dead and ended up being the main course of a herd of zombies.
5. Medical preparedness is essential. Survival situations can often present rough, physical conditions. Injuries are bound to happen. Whether it be a hurricane, tornado, earthquake, or zombie infestation medical care is critically important.
6. It can always get worse. Yes – it could. Just when things seem to have gotten as bad as they could get Murphy may show up and take it to a new level.
7. Get in shape. Survival situation tend to get physical. How often do you hear of those who survived disasters having to travel miles on foot, tread water for hours, or run from zombies. Numerous times in The Walking Dead the slow get eaten and the fast survive. Physical conditioning matters.
Thanks for reading. I really appreciate it.
Want more John Rourke?
Check out the following:
Like what you read?
Then you're gonna love my free PDF, 20 common survival items, 20 uncommon survival uses for each. That's 400 total uses for these innocent little items!
Just enter your primary e-mail below to get your link. This will also subscribe you to my newsletter so you stay up-to-date with everything: new articles, ebooks, products and more!
By entering your email, you agree to subscribe to the Modern Survival Online newsletter. We will not spam you.